A couple days ago I was looking at www.blueletterbible.org (A wonderful website that contains the Bible, Commentaries, Music based on Bible verses, a Concordance, etc.)While reading some of 2 Corinthians I came upon vs. 7-
"So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver."(NKJV)
Right next to the verse was the button that shows that someone had written a song based on this verse. As I love music, this was irresistible, so I clicked on it. I found a song written by Robert Murray in 1898- called "Lord thou Lov'st The Cheerful Giver".
I was amazed by the quality and beauty of the Hymn, going beyond just this verse, and explaining just how much God has already given to us and how we ought to "Give to thee who Givest all". The lyrics are below:
"Lord, Thou lov’st the cheerful giver,
Who with open heart and hand
Blesses freely, as a river
That refreshes all the land.
Grant us then the grace of giving
With a spirit large and free,
That our life and all our living
We may consecrate to Thee.
We are Thine, Thy mercy sought us,
Found us in death’s dreadful way,
To the fold in safety brought us,
Nevermore from Thee to stray.
Thine own life Thou freely gavest
As an off’ring on the cross
For each sinner whom Thou savest
From eternal shame and loss.
Blest by Thee with gifts and graces,
May we heed Thy church’s call:
Gladly in all times and places
Give to Thee Who givest all.
Thou hast bought us, and no longer
Can we claim to be our own;
Ever free and ever stronger,
We shall serve Thee, Lord, alone.
Savior, Thou hast freely given
All the blessings we enjoy.
Earthly store and bread of heaven,
Love and peace without alloy;
Humbly now we bow before Thee,
And our all to Thee resign;
For the kingdom, pow’r and glory,
Are, O Lord, forever Thine."
Since I loved this song so much, I naturally tried to find more about the person who wrote it. Unfortunately, I could find very little on Him. Cyber Hymnal says only that he was born December 25th 1832 and died December 10th 1910. They also say that he was a Presbyterian minister.
He wrote a number of other hymns as well including "From Ocean unto Ocean" and "Sow the Seed beside all waters".
Thank You for Reading,
Esther
No comments:
Post a Comment