Something I love to do is to sing. I love to sing, to hear other people sing, to research hymns, to find the history behind the songs we love, and to write songs. I love almost anything that has to do with music. Although Hymns are probably my favorite, I also like the newer praise and worship songs as well.
Not surprisingly, I was struck by how many times in the Bible it talks about singing to the Lord, especially in Psalms, but also noticeable throughout the rest, including Isaiah. Singing is mentioned many times in the Bible. Today I wanted to post several of my favorite of these verses. I hope you will bear with me in reading them all, I was surprised how many there were and only managed to narrow down my choices to the ones below with great difficulty:(all italics is added) NKJV
Judges 5:3- "Hear, O kings! Give ear, O princes! I, even I, will sing to the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel.
(The verse below really struck me as beautiful. It is especially so when taken in context with the whole story.(See Chronicles 20))
2Chronicles 20:21- And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed those who should sing to the LORD, and who should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army and were saying: "Praise the LORD, For His mercy endures forever."
1 Chronicles 16:19- Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him; Talk of all His wondrous works!
(Below is a large selection of verses from Psalms, I could not narrow it down much more, A Psalm is after all, a type of song)
Psalm 7:17- I will praise the LORD according to His righteousness, And will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.
Psalm 9:11- Sing praises to the LORD, who dwells in Zion! Declare His deeds among the people.
Psalm 18:49- Therefore I will give thanks to You, O LORD, among the Gentiles, And sing praises to Your name.
Psalm 33:3- Sing to Him a new song; Play skillfully with a shout of joy.
( I love the verse below!!)
Psalm 47:7- Sing praises to God, sing praises! Sing praises to our King, sing praises!
Psalm 66:4- All the earth shall worship You And sing praises to You; They shall sing praises to Your name." Selah
Psalm 68:4- Sing to God, sing praises to His name; Extol Him who rides on the clouds, By His name YAH, And rejoice before Him.
(Footnote on above verse. YAH, or JAH, is sometimes used in place of Jehovah)
Psalm 96:1- OH, sing to the LORD a new song! Sing to the LORD, all the earth.
Psalm 146:2- While I live I will praise the LORD; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
(Here ends my selection from Psalms)
Isaiah 42:10- Sing to the LORD a new song, And His praise from the ends of the earth, You who go down to the sea, and all that is in it, You coastlands and you inhabitants of them!
Isaiah 44:23- Sing, O heavens, for the LORD has done it! Shout, you lower parts of the earth; Break forth into singing, you mountains, O forest, and every tree in it! For the LORD has redeemed Jacob, And glorified Himself in Israel.
Isaiah 65:14a- Behold, My servants shall sing for joy of heart
Romans 15:9- and that the Gentiles might glorify God for His mercy, as it is written: "For this reason I will confess to You among the Gentiles, And sing to Your name."
Also, while I was preparing for this blogpost, I stumbled upon the below verse. It is now one of my favorite verses.
James 5:13- Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms.
Thank you for Reading,
Esther
No comments:
Post a Comment