Thursday, February 17, 2011

Highlights in Isaiah :Remnant, a message of Mercy

For My personal nighttime Bible study, I have been reading the Book of Isaiah. Some of my favorite passages and verses come from Isaiah, but I had never studied it in depth before now. As I began reading I was struck by the desolation, the mourning, the doom coming to Isreal.

In Isaiah 1:7 it says " Your country is desolate, Your cities are burned with fire; Strangers devour your land in your presence; and it is desolate, as overthrown by strangers."

Searching for a reason for this destruction, I came across Isaiah 1:4- "Alas, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a brood of evildoers, Children who are corrupters! They have forsaken the Lord, They have provoked to anger the Holy One of Isreal They have turned away Backwards."

Thinking on this, I thought of Isaiah 6:12-13,
Then I said, "Lord, how long?" And He answered: "Until the cities are laid waste and without inhabitant, The houses are without a man, The land is utterly desolate,
The LORD has removed men far away, And the forsaken places are many in the midst of the land.
But yet a tenth will be in it, And will return and be for consuming, As a terebinth tree or as an oak, Whose stump remains when it is cut down. So the holy seed shall be its stump."


The Lord is promising that though there will be desolation, in the midst of his righteous wrath, He will have mercy. A remnant, a remainder will be saved. Further on in my reading I discovered that this is by no means the first or the last time this remnant is mentioned. In Isaiah 10, after telling them of the destruction coming upon them it says this:

Isaiah 10:20-22:
And it shall come to pass in that day That the remnant of Israel, And such as have escaped of the house of Jacob, Will never again depend on him who defeated them, But will depend on the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth.
The remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, To the Mighty God.
For though your people, O Israel, be as the sand of the sea, A remnant of them will return; The destruction decreed shall overflow with righteousness.


The Remnant of Isreal is mentioned in many other places, the ones I have shown are verses selected for this blog post in particular, They are all in NKJV for those who wish to know.
Thank you for Reading,
God Bless,
Esther

No comments:

Post a Comment